1. That members of the public have a legally enforceable right of access to government information.
2. That government departments and agencies are required to publish information concerning the documents they hold.
3. That people may ask for inaccurate, incomplete, out of date or misleading information to their personal records to be amended.
4. That people may appeal against a decision by a government body not to give access to the information or not to amend a personal record.
The Freedom of Information Act provides the opportunity for public access to certain Council documents and Council fully supports these principles and makes a wide range of information available to the public.
The initial point of contact for any request relating to Freedom of Information (FOI) is the Manager Governance, who is Council's Freedom of Information Officer (telephone 5461 0610).
Advice will be provided on the documents that may be accessed without the need to make a formal FOI request. For example, many of Council's documents are open for public inspection.
If an FOI request is necessary an application form must be completed and can be lodged either in person, mailed or emailed. An application form and guide is available by using the link below, or by contacting the Shire Office.
In accordance with the Act the application must be accompanied by a fee of $28.40 and by law cannot be processed until this fee is received.
- Search fee
- Supervision (inspection of documents) fee
The FOI Officer will determine the imposition or otherwise of the additional charges such as photocopying which is generally charged at 20 cents per A4 page.
Upon receipt of a valid application, it will be duly processed and a decision on a request for access to a document will be made as soon as possible, but not later than 30 days after the day on which the request is received.
If an applicant is not satisfied with Council's initial decision, they have the right to seek review from the FOI Commissioner as follows;
FOI Commissioner, PO Box 24274 Melbourne Victoria 3001, Telephone 1300 842 364, Email firstname.lastname@example.org, Website www.foicommissioner.vic.gov.au
Freedom of Information Officer
Phone: (03) 5461 0610
Fax: (03) 5461 0668